Architects have a number of important balances to strike when designing for airports:
- Aesthetically pleasing design vs effective security.
- Designing to ease the stress of travel vs designing to enhance excitement.
- Maintaining easy traffic flow through the facility vs maximizing concessions sales.
- Traffic flow for outgoing passengers vs traffic flow for incoming passengers, especially those with connecting flights.
- Visual language for the airport as a whole vs individual concession brand identities.
- Designing for current needs vs allowing flexibility for future market changes – especially changes in security technology.
While we can’t promise we’ll make those choices easier, we can provide you with an incredible variety of options in security closures so that you can find a solution that works. We can also provide custom door designs when needed, thanks to our in-house R&D team.
Our new clients are often amazed at how many options we can provide in terms of materials, patterns, finishes, and even colors. We have so many options that Ron Blanks and Associates tapped us to teach their course on Div 08 Architectural Options.
The Three Types Of Solutions For Airport Security Closures
We have three main types of security solutions. Each is available in a variety of patterns and design choices.
The Roll And Fold Mobile Crowd Control System
Perfect for airports with ongoing renovations, the Roll and Fold can be easily stored, deployed, optionally locked in places, and redeployed over and over again.
Side Folding Doors
If your concession or kiosk has a large degree of curvature, an otherwise irregular opening, or if meeting ADA accessibility guidelines is essential, side folding doors are a smart choice.
Overhead Rolling Doors
If your door will need a motorized operator, or if space for a door pocket on the side is limited, choose an overhead rolling door.
Making The Most Of Airport Concessions
Airport concessions are an important draw with travellers who can often choose between multiple airports. When done right, they can even draw non-travellers to shop, dine, and enjoy services like spa treatments. They can transform a transportation hub into a shared space for the entire community.
For airport managers, revenue from concessions is a vital source of funding. Minneapolis-St Paul International Airport, after an extensive optimization effort, brought revenue from non-airline sources up to 46% of total operating revenue (according to a presentation delivered to Airports Council International of North America).
To attract great retailers, you have to provide what they need. Foot traffic. Advertising. Support services. Even special events and contests. In short, you have to set them up for success.
How Security Closures Help Achieve Concessionaire Goals
So how can a humble security closure help draw the kind of concessions that will help make the airport a destination?
They can make a big difference, by:
- Harmonizing with the look and feel of prestige brands to reinforce desirability.
- Tempting window shoppers to take a good look at products even when the store or kiosk is closed.
- Providing reliable ease of operation for concession staff when opening and closing.
- Interfacing with a variety of ACS (access control systems) and BAS (building automation systems) to provide data that can be used in decision making.
- Having easy-to-upgrade locking systems in case of employee turnover.
- Offering unparallelled ease of installation.
In highly competitive environments, any advantage can play a key part in the overall success of the facility. In short, the security door you choose can be an important decision for your project.
We’re Here To Help You Select The Right Door
Dynamic offers a number of time-saving services that can help make the selection of your security closure effortless:
- Help with door selection to meet your project parameters.
- Free BIM object downloads.
- Division 08 specification checks that catch mistakes even experienced commercial architects can make.
- Creating custom CAD files when needed.
- Custom door designs on request.
Our level of support is unparallelled in security door manufacturing.
Call us Monday to Friday from 9 AM to 5 PM Eastern at 1-800-663-4599.
Get access to brochures, drawings, installation guides, specs and layouts in our downloads area.
Download our BAS Guide
Learn how building automation systems can make client goals achievable – especially when integrated with Dynamic Closures maglock-enabled doors.